Saturday, August 16, 2008

Looking for a cooking lesson

I have realized that when Ryan starts work on Monday I am once again on cooking duty (something I hate). The last few months I've weaseled out of cooking since Ryan's home and he's a much better cook than I am- so most nights he cooks and I clean up- great deal as far as I'm concerned (good for him too because my cooking REALLY SUCKS!) However, now that I'm a stay at home mommy I have had to accept the fact that I really should be the one shouldering the nutritional burden (chicken strips and toast count, no?). Because of my limited abilities in the kitchen (seriously, last weekend my best friend Bobbie saw me pick up a knife to start chopping an avocado and she actually winced- she was so scared that she eventually took it away from me) we end up eating the same thing (spaghetti) over and over (and over and over)again, so I am reaching out for some new ideas... PLEASE leave me a recipe- even if you're a blog stalker and never leave a comment (don't worry I do it too so I won't judge) give me your favorite recipe so my kid will know there's more to life than canned tomato sauce and boiled spaghetti noodles ( are you crying yet bobbie?)

Some things to keep in mind when you're choosing a recipe:
1. when I say easy- I mean EASY- I don't chop, baste, or tenderize.
2. I have very little patience so if it takes all day I'm probably gonna give up and eat cheerios.
3. I hate pork (No, despite what my husband says I'm not Muslim- I just don't like the taste)

In exchange I'm going to offer up one of our favorite dinners (not spaghetti) because I'm a giver...

Shepherds Pie
* Brown a pound of Hamburger in a frying pan.
*While meat is cooking make mashed potatoes.
* Add 1/3 cup ketchup and 3-6 tbsp of worcheshire sauce (depending on taste, we like a lot of worchestshire)
* Add mixed veggies (I think corn, cauliflower, and broccoli are the best in this and I use frozen veggies- big surprise there)
* let cook until veggies are soft
* Put meat and veggie mixture at the bottom of a 9X12 pan, then layer grated cheese (cheddar or sharp cheddar) and top with mashed potatoes.
* Cook in a 350 degree oven until warmed through (10-15 minutes.)

11 comments:

The Price Family said...

Thanks for feeding my family tonight!!
Trey loved the dogs and nemo fish. I will have to think of some good recipes because all of mine are very easy :)

The Price Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marciekoch said...

Amy - I feel your pain and I don't even have a family to cook for. I posted a recipe on my blog a few months ago and Jessica chastized me for it. It's a well known fact that I don't cook! :) I'm totally fine with spaghetti and nachos!!
We're pretty simple at our house in general though - no recipes for us! We enjoy spaghetti, steak & baked potatoes, tacos, taco salad, chicken breasts.
One recipe that we do enjoy is stolen from "The Onion" restaurant in Spokane. It's a strawberry almond chicken salad. Brush teriyaki sauce on chicken breasts before you cook them (we cook them in the microwave). Dump romaine lettuce (buy it in a bag at Wal Mart), sliced almonds, bacon bits, and sliced strawberries in a big bowl. Add cut up chicken breast. Serve with strawberry vinagrette dressing. It's amazing. At "The Onion," they use a more creamy dressing that I think has yogurt in it, but we don't know the exact recipe. Usually we buy some when we're in Spokane - it's that good.
Good Luck!

The Davis Family said...

I love the crockpot...like cooking only not. So, here is one of my favs. Take about 4-6 new potatoes (quartered) along with a small bag of baby carrots and place in bottom of crockpot. Add pot roast on top. Pour one small can of petite diced tomatos and one package of french onion soup mix and about 1/2 cup of water. Cover, set crockpot on low for 6-8 hours and enjoy dinner.

Boe & Bobbie Stallings said...

Oh Amy Lynn my heart goes out to you, you know that (even though I would LOVE to stay at home and cook all day). There is nothing wrong with your meals you’re a good cook; you have it in you somewhere to be a fantastic cook, I just need to find where it’s at. I believe its called practice, practice, practice. That cookbook I got you for Christmas last year has a lot of easy recipes you should take a look at it. Here are a few web-sites that I just love tasteofhome.com, allrecipes.com and of course the one your mom turned me on to epicurious.com. I have to say though I will never forget how I had to “teach” you to make mashed potatoes in high school; I still get a kick out of that one. I love you to death and you know that, if you need any help just call and I will try to talk you through it. P.S. A crockpot is really nice especially when you go out of town and need to cook something for Ryan to eat while your gone..lol

The McGary's said...

here is a super easy and super yummy dinner.

Crock Pot Chicken

4 chicken breasts
4 TBSP butter
1 pkg Good seasons Italian mix (dry) you find it in the dressing isle by all the packages of dry dressings like ranch

Put that in the crock pot (i mix my butter and dry mix together and then poor it on the chicken) and cook about 4 hours on high or longer on low ( my crock pot is very hot and cooks it very fast so just watch it)

WHen it is done heat together 1 (8 0z) cream cheese
1 can cream of mushroom then poor over the chicken(shred the chicken before adding this. Then we serve it over rice.

Aleighy said...

Everyone...I can attest to Amy's lack of cooking skills! Amy, have you learned how to make Mac n' cheese yet without burning it? You crack me up! Anyways, I would suggest Jande's recipe for crock pot chicken. It's really good and easy.

Kristiane said...

Hi Amy! What fun to find your blog through Marcie's and catch a glimpse of your gorgeous little girl. It sounds like life is good in Hermiston. I couldn't resist passing along one of my favorite and very easiest recipes, so here goes:
Taco Soup
Brown 1 lb ground beef or turkey
Add in some chopped onions at the end if you want
In a large pot, dump the contents of the following cans:
2 cans corn
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce

To that mixture, add the meat/onion mix and a packet of taco seasoning. Just heat it all up until bubbling and enjoy.

A few hints:
*If you're worried about sodium, buy low sodium canned stuff.
*It tastes great with sour cream, grated cheese, and chips. Also corn bread on the side.
*It will make a huge recipe - I like to freeze half of it in a ziplock.

Enjoy!
Kristiane

marciekoch said...

Amy -
I made dinner tonight and thought of you!! Here it is:

Buy a box of Thai Kitchen's Original Pad Thai from your favorite local grocery store. Follow the instructions on the back! I like to add a fried egg (or two), cilantro, lime juice, shrimp or chicken, and a tablespoon of peanut butter for a peanut-y taste.

If you like Thai food, you'll enjoy this and it always makes me feel like I've created a culinary masterpiece!

Deborah Austin said...

go to allrecipes.com and type in artichoke chicken in the search box the first one that come up is the one I used and it is an amazing recipe and so so easy! It took like 5 minutes to put together.

let me know whay you think when you try it.

Mikaela said...

Okay Amy, sorry, but I've stalked your blog a few times...your little girl is adorable! But I wanted to give you super, super easy recipe. It's Taco Soup. You may have made it already, I don't know, but it's simple.

In a saucepan, Brown hamburger (as much as you want, really...1/2 lb to 1 pound)
salt and pepper it too
add in onions (dehydrated work great)
Then open stewed tomoatoes--3 cans
Then take 2 cans of kidney beans, drain off the juice, put them in the strainer, rinse them off, add them to the mixture.
Open a can of corn, add it (with the juice) to your saucepan too
Then add in as much taco seasoning as you want, to taste.
Cook it for about 10 minutes or so, get it nice and hot
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips

It's simple...takes maybe 20 minutes, total! Enjoy!