Monday, March 30, 2009

A word about coupons...

So, it seems that coupons is the hot topic right now- I keep seeing stories about them on blogs, the Today Show and Oprah... so I thought I'd tell a story of my own.

Today Laney and I went to Costco with Jess and Emers. Yesterday I had taken out my Costco fl yer, cut out the coupons I would use and put them in my wallet. Today, at the store I took them out several times to make sure I'd bought the items I had coupons for. Then I went to checkout (and in all fairness, was too busy giving the box lady the evil eye for being rude to notice anything was amiss) I paid my bill (YIKES) and waited for Jess to be done. I was standing there, in the afterglow of my shopping venture wondering why I didn't have that content feeling that comes for using coupons to save $5 on my $200 (give or take) Costco bill... when I realised... THE DAMN COUPONS WERE STILL IN MY POCKET!!! Yep- that's me- forget to give them to the checker. Nice work!

And while we're on the topic- a little food for though...
I'm all about coupons- when they're convenient. I go through the Sunday ads (which usually ends up costing me money "hey and dvd player for the car for $115- don't we need one of those?") I clip the coupons we will use and usually remember to use them. I probably save a buck fifty a week with coupons- but hey- I can tell my husband "We had a coupon" to justify the need for a dozen donuts... Anyway. I hear about people who are saving hundreds of dollars, doubling coupons, shopping around (my friend Jodi just went to Kmart and actually left with the store owing her money) etc.

I'm impressed but I just have to say- in my world- if I could get it together to clip coupons from 3 different papers, go to 4 stores, double my coupons, buy in bulk, organize everything the I'd bought to make sure I didn't buy it again next month, feed my kids, plan meals for a month and keep my house clean, I'd get a job. With that kind of drive, organization and energy- I'd be CEO of a company and pay someone else to buy my damn groceries (and cook them for that matter!) I'm just saying...

5 comments:

marciekoch said...

I totally agree! :) Coupons are a lot of work - and it seems like in our area they never have those double coupons and stuff. Wierd. Today was fun! Can't wait to do it again!

The Price Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Price Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Tell us how you really feel about it amy!! He He!!

Lisa Jean Malm said...

I'm with you on this one! I'm tempted to start trying it just to see how much I would really save, how much extra time & gas I'd spend driving to shop at stores I don't regularly shop at just for deals, how much money I would be spending on things I don't need, and how much stuff would go to waste because I wouldn't ever use it or it would expire. But I'm hoping the New York Times or NPR will look into this for me!