Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Perking my House up a Bit

Anyone else looking around and thinking their house needs a little pick me up? I’m sick of looking at plain walls and the same boring colors/pictures etc. So, I’ve been on a mission to add a something something. Here’s my first project.

A year ago I painted the basement and made the curtains but never made it any farther. I kept thinking I’d find a big picture or something that we liked and could afford. 365 days later, no dice. So, I fit the 50% off table at Hobby Lobby and grabbed some spray paint for some things I already had and turned this-

DSC01656

…into this. I realize this is an imperfect hodge podge of items but it’ll be something to look at until we find that one thing we love.

DSC01662

I had some help from the resident sickie (poor thing has a second round of the stomach flu). By the way if you’ve never used paper templates to help hang your pictures you’re missing out. It is the only way to hang this many items without putting a million holes in your wall (and ticking your husband off)

DSC01658

beyond the copious amounts of spray paint, I also did these art projects. The first was modge podging a picture to a canvas to make it look like all those cute canvas pictures you see everywhere. Not perfect quality but not bad for $4. The other is our house key. Thought it would be cute (and free!) to display the key to our first house. So, I backed it in fabric and spray painted the key. Presto!

DSC01664

The last project was this one- I bought a 99cent letter from Hobby Lobby, spray painted it yellow then modge podged fabric on it. Then put the empty frame around it. (FYI, this is all variations from pinterest- so I don’t get the creative credit)

DSC01667

Next, I’m going to try my hand at making curtains for upstairs. Wish me luck (or send me Nate Berkus) either way I could use a little help!

1 comment:

Candace wegner said...

Love everything! I saved the same things from pinterest!