Thursday, January 5, 2012

La La La Love Pinterest and a Quick Sewing How-to

Is anyone else obsessed with Pinterest?  I most definitively am! Here are just a few ideas that I’ve ripped off from them-

Pretty much all of Twinkles adventures!

DSC01279

These cute sleds for the kids for Christmas- using snickers and teddy grams!

DSC01298

Tons of ideas for kids crafts-

DSC00565

and the inspiration to turn this plain sweatshirt into this cute one (might be my favorite pin, next to my colored hair!)

DSC01020DSC01028

Seriously people, get on there and check it out!  I’m in love!

 

Speaking of Pinterest I kept seeing simple pajama pants pinned everywhere but the instructions always assumed you know how to make your own pattern, but until recently I didn’t. So I took some pictures this time in case you can’t do what I do and call your momma to save you and your 5 yard of flannel! Smile

 

So you’ll need you’re fabric, pants that fit, two pencils, tape and freezer paper (it’s at the grocery store by the foil and ziplocks and is genius for crafting)

DSC01621

Rip off a piece of freezer paper and CAREFULLY fold you’re pants in half and lay them on the freezer paper like so-

DSC01624

Now, this is where your pencils and tape come in, tape the pencils together like so-

DSC01626

This is help allow for a seam allowance, without measuring! I know genius right? (also saw this on pinterest) When my two pencils were taped together it gave me roughly a 1/4 seam allowance, if you want to be precise measure it but in this pattern it really doesn’t matter.

Then trace around your pants onto the freezer paper (shiny side down) using your jimmy rigged pencils.

DSC01627

Then cut it out using the SECOND pencil line as your guide.

*** at the waist and the hem you are going to need to leave several extra inches beyond the second pencil line to account for your hem and elastic casing***

Don’t forget or you're pattern won’t work at all!

On this particular pair of pants I left 3 inches extra on the top( 1/4 for the double fold on the waist band and and 2 1/4 inches for the elastic casing- if you’re using 1 inch elastic this will generally work for everyone) and 2 extra inches at the hem ( I always leave lots of extra at the hem so I have a lot to work with, especially when I’m sewing for the kids)

DSC01636

I had a little extra help on these!

DSC01637

Now you’ve got your basic pattern made- fold your fabric and lay the pattern, shiny side down on your fabric and iron it down. (this is the genius of freezer paper, it will adhere to your fabric but peel off without leaving anything behind)

DSC01641DSC01639

pin through all the layers then get to sewing! I’ve used this method for pants for the kids, and a few skirts and dresses for Laney- it’ pretty handy once you get the hang of it!

DSC01650

* side note, on Colt’s pants I used really stretchy pants for the pattern and since the flannel wasn’t as stretchy it was a little tight in the bum. So if that’s the case allow for an extra inch or so in your pattern to accommodate for the stretch.  *

Happy sewing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "kudos" BUT to my English teaching daughter...remember the difference between your and you're?? Must have been a really short sleep night! :)