Thursday, December 11, 2008

And The Award For Mother of The Year Goes To....

[drum roll please...] The Woman who locked her child in the car at Craft Warehouse, Amy Wieseler please come forward to accept your trophy.

Yep- its true, on Tuesday I locked Laney in the car, with the keys (I would have written sooner but let's face it- it's taken me awhile to find the funny- in fact, I'm still kinda looking.)

So here it goes- we went into town to run some errands, beginning our day at Craft Warehouse. I went in, ended up buying fabric to make my first quilt (more on that later) then headed out to the car. It should noted that when I arrived I was thrilled to get the first parking spot in the lot (this tidbit will become important later). I put Laney in the car while mentally planning ways to talk my mom into helping (doing for me) with my latest sewing project. At some point while I was buckling her car seat Laney started to play with my keys (this is a critical point in my story- for if I had only stopped daydreaming about flannel I would have heard to door locks click). When I finished with the car seat I took my keys (grateful that she didn't hit the panic button like she did last time at craft warehouse- seeing a pattern here?) and tossed them into the front seat. Then I made another, in a series of critical errors and shut the door.

Still unaware of my predicament I went to open my door and realised it was locked (insert your favorite curse word) my heart rate rising I tried another door (insert favorite curse word x2), then, in a full panic, tried every other door and window (insert a series of colorful, rarely used curse words- shocking a very old women going into Craft Warehouse to buy her cat a stocking).

Now about to have a panic attack- I call my mom and dad (who are in town) and tell them the problem. Then I called AAA (A word from our sponsors- AAA is totally worth the money- buy it) They tell me a locksmith will be there sometime within the next hour. A HOUR ( I then spend several seconds looking for a hammer-no luck- guess all those crafty people left their tools at home)!!!???

Up until now- Laney thinks we're playing some kind of elaborate game of peek-a-boo, but she suddenly figures out that somethings wrong (could be me crying and shaking- who knows) and begins screaming and crying. At this exact moment, every single crafty person in a 200 mile radius decides to go shopping. Did I mention that I was parked in the FRONT SPOT???? So God and everyone see me running from window to window trying to calm my hysterical child while alternately saying "it's okay" and "I'm sorry your mommy is a *&^%&* idiot".

Finally, the locksmith shows up (it only took 15 minutes), unlocks the car and I get Laney out. She just looked at me like "what kinda joke was that- mom, you're not very funny! Shortly thereafter my mom and dad showed up, dried both of our tears and we finished our day of shopping (although I still needed SEVERAL glasses of wine that evening).

I hear they're going to be sending my trophy in the mail....

6 comments:

Brian and Jennifer said...

OH, Amy. That really is a traumatic story. I'd be a wreck! Glad it didn't take the locksmith too long to get there.

marciekoch said...

Amy - Don't worry. My Mom did the exact same thing to me when I was Delaney's age - she could've wrote that whole story. I think I turned out ok. :) I'm sure it was more trumatic for you than Delaney. You're not alone!

Unknown said...

I have yet to do that cause Cooper is almost 4 and he thinks it is funny to lock himself in the car so after 2 years of training I have learned to keep my keys in my pocket or make huge threats if the car is running and he gets in the front seat! At least we know it happens to the best of us moms!

Jessica said...

Then did you get her out and let her hang from her stroller by her head??? Fun date night last night--thanks.

The McGary's said...

Oh dear that couldn't have been fun. Look at the bright side atleast you didn't leave her in the car while you were shopping. Hope you recover okay:)

marciekoch said...

By the way - we need to see what you're quilting. Are you making a rag quilt? I think that's what I'm going to try to start with...when I get my sewing machine.