Wednesday, February 13, 2008

She looks so sweet.... wait did you just say love child?




Today I took Delaney to her doctor for her 6 month check up and shots ( for those of you looking for her latest vitals stats... she weighs 17 lbs , is 27 inches long and has a huge, Charlie Brown head! :) 75% for weight, 90% for height and head size) and things began pretty well.

I'm sure most of you can understand how much it sucks to take your baby to get her shots, not only does it hurt (and may possibly be autism in a bottle- another subject entirely) but they look at you with this look of utter betrayal, mommy how could you?! So, I dread this appointment like the plague, but so far we've managed without major incident- today however was a different story...


Despite the long wait, and Delaney's severe case of stranger danger with the Dr. we made it through the first part of the appointment with only a few tears. Then the nurse came in with the needles (cue Jaws theme music). With the first shot she just looked at me waiting for me to stop the problem, when it became obvious to her that I was a participant in this torture she decided to take matters into her own hands, and began screaming. By the second shot she was at about a 9.5 on the scream meter (S.M.). Now, for those of you thinking, no big deal, kids cry all the time- you've never heard my daughter scream. It is a noise that can only be described as the noise that might come from the love child of a Howler Monkey and a Terradactyl. Seriously, its unlike any noise you have ever heard, and she seems to be able to produce it without pause (even to breathe! ) for unimaginable lengths of time. By the time she had her fourth and final shot, she had made it to a 10 on the S.M.

Now, having heard this particular noise (and suffered the resulting permanent hearing loss) I wasn't too upset, the nurse, however, informed me that in EIGHT years of giving infants shots this was the " LOUDEST she had EVER heard". Ouch, not exactly what every parent hopes to hear.

After hearing that I could only hope that the crowd in the waiting room had not heard my little girl's performance, but that was not to be. I know the receptionist from school and the first thing she said to me was, " did that noise come from such a little girl?" Then I had to do the walk of shame through the waiting room where every pair of eyes watched us leave... Yikes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laney is awful adorable wrapped up in that blankie :) I was wondering if Ryan is the Howler Monkey or if he’s the Terradactyl???? I really need to get a blog going so I don’t have to be anonymous anymore, everyone is doing it… you then Jess and now Fran, look what you started Amy. Just kidding I love it, I can get updates on you guys and it looks like I’m working, FANTASTIC!! Bobbie

Aleighy said...

Poor Laney. I hate taking the kids into the doctor. Actually, I haven't ever taken the kids to get shots without Aaron. I leave the room when the nurses bust out the needles and Aaron has to hold their legs down. I'm a big baby. It's so sad....especially when they are babies...that breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, Amy & Delaney. Greeting from the still snow covered northeast country (Odessa!). We are really enjoying your blog and the pictures. Amy, you need to do a little writing for the public. I am serious. Don't hide your light under the proverbial bushel basket (as Grandpa would say). I'll try to send you some pictures of "old folks!" Love, UK and AL