Thursday, July 7, 2011

God and Dinosaurs

Ever had a conversation that got a little out of hand ? Here's my latest with the Laney-Bug.

(a little background info- Laney is really into dinosaurs right now and Ryan's Grandpa Wieseler recently passed away)

This conversation happened on the way to Grandpa Leonard's funeral, after I had explained to Delaney that he lived in heaven now (which apparently she now thinks is a town just outside of Basin City (!)

Delaney: "Mom, where do Dinosaurs live?"

Me: " They lived a long time ago, but now they are extinct, which means there are no dinosaurs alive anymore"

... a moment of pause for her to think...

Delaney: "Are they in heaven?"

... my turn to take a moment to think....

Me: "Sure"

Delaney begins to cry and panic out of nowhere... GAH !!!! What now?

Delaney: "MOOOOMMMMM, the Dinosaurs are going to bite Great Grandpa Wieseler in heaven. Oh nooooooo!"

... well, shit...

Me: " No honey, the dinosaurs won't bite Great Grandpa- God doesn't allow biting."

... more crying...

Me: " Delaney- there is not biting in heaven I promise!"

Delaney: "Why?"

... frantic thinking for an answer...

Delaney: " Mom, does God use magic to stop the dinosaurs from biting Great Grampa?"

Me: "Yes, absolutely God uses magic to keep the dinosaurs from biting."

So, that's how my 3 year old came to believe that God uses magic to prevent Dinosaurs from biting in heaven. Yeah- I think I'll start saving for her therapy now- it seems inevitable.

2 comments:

marciekoch said...

I'm so glad you shares this story...cracked me up the first time I heard it and it still makes me laugh!

The Schafer's said...

Very cute! Don't worry Amy, I think all kids are silly like Delaney. My niece Allie asks me strange questions too, and I never know what to say. :)