Thursday, July 11, 2013

Meet the Chickens

We are still in the chicken farming business around here. The girls haven’t seen fit to lay an egg yet, but since Laney and I love them I’ve decided to ignore the free loading. We have 6 and Delaney has named them all ( Blondie, Stripe, Sun, Fuzz, Momma, and Blacker) she can tell them all apart and if quick to correct anyone who gets their names wrong!

Blondie- is my special needs chicken. Swede go a hold of her one day and she is now missing a wing. I still can’t believe that this chicken survived- she was missing all her feathers, had a broken wing and one gone completely. Somehow she pulled thru and seems just fine. Because of her “handicap” I have to put her to bed each night. Generally, she waits for me, but if I wait too long she’ll find a place to roost. Sometimes it’s in the kids fairy garden, sometimes she makes me get the flashlight out and search.

DSC04339IMG_5565[1]

 

IMG_5142[1]DSC04259

 

The red chicken below, Stripe, is probably my favorite. Anytime I’m outside she’s right on my heels hoping for a handout. She is the first one to the scraps in the evening and will even jump for watermelon.

IMG_5461[1]

… unfortunately, she is also the first one thru the door into the house. More than once I’ve had to chase her out of the basement after the kids left to door open.

IMG_5553[2]

The best part of these hens is definitely watching Delaney with them. She and I have definitely bonded over these birds- I love watching her out there talking to them! And I love sitting on the grass after dinner chatting with her while we feed them scraps. Silly, I know, but definitely moments I treasure with my big, little girl.

IMG_5035[1]IMG_5346[1]

DSC04357

No comments: