Monday, February 18, 2013

Brenna’s Baby Story

Brenna’s arrival was, by far, the easiest of all my kiddos.  As with Colton, the doctors had all lectured me on getting to the hospital in time, since she was low and I was already dilated and effaced. 

By the start of 38 weeks, I was REALLY tired of being pregnant, and since this baby had already cooked longer than both her siblings I figured it was time for her to vacate the premises. Wednesday, after I put the kids down for a nap, I started having some contractions, and by 5 I called Ryan and told him to head home from work.

We got to Kadlec and sent the kids off with my mom. The nurse who checked us  in wasn’t sure I was in real labor and told me to walk around for and hour and then the doctor would recheck me. The minute she left the room, I started to cry (panicking my husband). This is the moment I hate! Everyone’s geared up to have a baby, the kids are taken care of and people have literally driven hours to help us get everyone settled… and then a nurse tells me my body might be faking it! Unacceptable.

*sidenote- this is why I think babies and pregnancy’s should come with some sort of external gauges… a red button that pops up (like on a turkey) when labor begins. A fuel gauge to let you know the baby’s had enough to eat… etc. There is entirely too much ambiguity in pregnancy for my taste.

After an hour of walking there was no denying that this was labor, so they transferred me to a room, while I reminded everyone within earshot that I wanted an epidural. Just when the contractions had crossed over from the “mildly annoying” to the “where the hell are the pain killers” stage, the nice man with the epidural cart came in! I love that guy! 5 minutes later I was feeling no pain- Thank you Lord Jesus!

Then they broke my water and waited. Brenna, like Colton, didn’t take long once things were under way. I went from a 7 to a 10 in record time, and after about 5 pushes, Ryan announced that I wouldn’t be getting a red head this time either. She arrived screaming and with a head full of dark hair.

Definitely a perfect little miracle!

No comments: