Friday, September 30, 2011

Sewing, my go-to baby gift.

I recently had a couple of friends have babies and finished their presents and thought I’d share my go-to baby present (and anidea of how to do it) in case you were interested.

The first is a receiving blanket- but a big one. I have had several of these for my kids and I used them all the time (still do) because they are a great size. You need a yard and a quarter of two coordinating fabrics (I always use flannel).

Lay them out flat right sides together (I had a little help) then pin the edges together

025

Then, to round the edges, I trace a dinner plate along all 4 corners.

026028032

Then, cut the rounded corners and sew together (I sandwiched some rick rack on this particular blanket) using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Make sure and leave a part of the blanket open so you can flip it right side out. Flip the blanket, then sew on the right side using a 1/4 seam, making sure to close the opening when you get to it.

035

Ta- Da! A super cute easy blanket!

I also generally send a personalized onsie with the blanket but didn’t have any pictures of that, so here’s the same idea with one of Delaney’s shirts.

039041

Start out with a plain shirt or onsie. In this case, I took a shirt of Laney’s that had been stained but still fit. You’ll also need Steam-a-seam or wonder under (I prefer wonder under). Print out the design you want (if you’re using an image with a specific orientation make sure and flip it). trace the image on the wonder under and cute the image out.

 042

Then iron the cut out onto the BACK side of your fabric, and cut that out.

043

Lay your design out how you want it on your clothes. Then peel off the back layer of your wonder under and iron it into place.

045

Sew it on and you’re done. Easy as pie!

Here are a few of my finished projects using the same technique

046049050

securedownload

I’ve also made a few of these tie onsies for little boys and they turn out adorable!

Happy sewing, I need to move away from my machine and clean my showers before the grunge takes over !

I stole the idea, and the print-out for Colton’s hoodie over here, I love this blog, especially her wake-up Wednesdays!

No comments: