Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Baby Story


For those of you that are interested- here's a little more detailed version of Colton's arrival.... I'll warn you that sleep deprivation and post- traumatic stress may have robbed me of my funny so don't expect too much.

I started the day with a miserable cold and a Dr's appointment. After checking me Dr. Muholland essentially said that the baby was already halfway out so it should be anytime. I'd heard that before so I didn't get my hopes up....

After the appointment, Jess was kind enough to go out to lunch with me and listen to me whine again about being pregnant. AFTER I decided to go to Applebee's she tells me that it is the baby restaurant because both she and Fran delivered after eating there. While we were eating I was just feeling crappy- but that is to be expected when you're head is full of snot and you're walking around with a baby between your knees. After that we went and got out toes done (good timing huh?) Then I went to Target to see if the "cramping" would turn into anything before I drove home. Eventually, I decided this was just more braxton hicks and drove home. I spent about 90 minutes at home before I realised that it was serious and loaded everyone up to go the hospital.

Mom and Dad met us at Kadlec and took Laney home and put her to bed. I was checked in and in a bed by about 8:30 pm. Shortly after I got and epidural and the Dr broke my water... All was going as planned and I was ready for this baby,,,, and then it happened.... I STARTED TO FEEL SOMETHING. A LOT OF SOMETHING..... MUCH OUCHY.

The whole point of the epidural is that you feel NOTHING. We tried everything, more medicine, laying on my side, more medicine, and much panicked prayer (on my part). Finally the nurse informed me that there was nothing more they could do and I was going to just have to work it out, so I did what any sane woman might and began to PANIC. I seemed to have blocked much of the memory so I'll provide you with a few quotes so that you get the picture....

"This is not okay, I am not okay, I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS" (repeat several times in a full panic)
"Husband, DO SOMETHING"
"This really hurts" ( said through tears in a very pathetic voice)
And my personal favorite, uttered during one of the final pushes... said in a vaguely demonic voice...
" M*^#herrrr F*#kerrrr"

and at 11:50 Colton Christopher arrived! And at 11:51 Ryan patched up the claw marks on his hand.

Thankfully I only had to push a few times before he came, but I am still considering permanent sterilization.... good thing he's cute huh?

6 comments:

The McGary's said...

Oh Amy I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! When I heard the words, "sorry there is no time for an epidural" I did the same thing, PANIC!!! I told Chad the same thing "I CAN NOT DO THIS!" But that baby was coming whether I thought I could do it or not. It is a good thing they are so stinkin cute which makes it worth the few moments of pain:) He is darling! Thank goodness he came quickly and with just a couple pushes.

Jessica said...

Love you guys and let't wait to see you. dont let him grow up too much before I come over monday:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful picture!! Proud Grammie

Brian and Jennifer said...

Love, love, love the picture. He's darling! PRetty sure I couldn't give birth without pain meds. I was feeling way too much with my last one, and made them up the meds. Luckily, in my case, it helped. Sorry to hear, you felt more than you were wanting too! Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.