Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sleeping babies...

Okay- so it's not a big secret that Laney isn't exactly a "good sleeper". We have struggled to get her to sleep through the night for what seems like forever- I've read books, and tried a million different things to no avail. (Althought I am happy to report that now Laney is able to put herself to sleep most nights, after a few minutes of rocking and most nights sleeps till 6 in her own bed- not too bad, eh?)

But I digress- today Jess returned some books that she had borrowed and one was my favorite one on sleep ( The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley- worth a read- althought I should add that if you're taking sleep advice from me you're pretty much screwed already) and re-read a the section on teaching new babies how to sleep, hoping to avoid making the same mistakes with Mr. Peanut.

She talks about putting your baby down to sleep so they don't get used to sleeping in your arms (good advice) but then adds....

Allow me to amend my advice just a bit, please...when you can, put your baby down so that she learns to sleep on her own, as well as in your arms. And when you don't put her down, hold her with your heart, too, and relish every gurgle, flutter, and little sighing breath. Trust me when I say you will miss this.

It brought tears to my eyes ( no easy task if you know me) and just made me remember to slow down. I wish Delaney was a better sleeper- but would I trade all of our cuddles and snuggles for a good nights sleep? I don't know....

Hmm.... hope I can find the middle ground with Colton, but if I err on the side of too many snuggles, I think I can live with it.

No comments: